Fettuccine with Asparagus Ribbons
Photography: Annie Schlecter
Martha Stewart Living, May 2004
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, (about 2 shallots)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Blanch asparagus until just tender, about 3 minutes. Immediately transfer with tongs to ice-water bath to stop the cooking (keep the water at a boil). Drain.
- Add pasta to pot; cook until just al dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water; drain.
- Meanwhile, shave asparagus stalks (not including tips) into long ribbons with a vegetable peeler; transfer ribbons and tips to a medium bowl as you work.
- Heat oil in a large saute; pan over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add shallots; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add cream, 1/4 cup reserved cooking water, and asparagus.
- Bring to a boil; add pasta. Cook, tossing, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add more cooking water if pasta seems dry. Stir in zest and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.