Spaghetti with Veal Bolognese Sauce
To make this dish even more special, Fresh Pasta, cut 1/4 inch wide, can be substituted for the dried spaghetti.
Martha Stewart Living, March 1997
- 1 dried one-quarter-ounce package porcini mushrooms
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 small onion, (about 5 ounces), peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 small carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large rib celery, strings removed, cut into chunks
- 1 pound veal shoulder, trimmed of all fat and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup Tomato Sauce Tomato Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/262593/tomato-sauce)
- 3 1/2 cups Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/261561/homemade-chicken-stock), or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Olive-oil, cooking spray
- Place mushrooms in a small bowl; cover with 1/2 cup boiling water. Let soak 15 minutes. Lift mushrooms from liquid, and chop medium fine; set aside. Strain liquid through cheesecloth; set liquid aside.
- Place garlic in food processor; process until finely chopped. Add onion; process until finely chopped. Transfer onions and garlic to a small bowl. Process carrots in food processor until coarsely chopped, about 15 pulses. Add celery; process until carrots and celery are finely chopped; set aside.
- Spray medium-high, straight-sided skillet with olive-oil spray; place over medium-low heat. Add vegetables, cover, and cook until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add veal, and raise heat to high; cook until veal turns opaque, about 5 minutes. Add wine; cook until evaporated. Stir in tomato sauce, mushrooms, stock, reserved mushroom liquid, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium low; simmer until meat is tender and most liquid has been absorbed, about 2 hours.
- Cook pasta until al dente; transfer to large serving dish. Pour sauce over pasta; toss. Sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.