Cornmeal gives biscuits a slight crunchiness and a golden hue.
Martha Stewart Living
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, plus more for topping, if desired
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon nonfat buttermilk
- Honey (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir in 3/4 cup buttermilk until the mixture holds together.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch-round cookie cutter or a drinking glass, cut out eight rounds, and place on prepared parchment; discard scraps of dough. Brush tops of biscuits with remaining tablespoon buttermilk. Bake until golden and puffy, about 12 minutes. If desired, spread with butter or honey. Serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.