Kale with Sweet Sausage
Everyday Food, December 2006
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 sweet Italian sausage (about 3 ounces), removed from casing and crumbled
- 2 bunches kale (about 1 1/2 pounds total), tough stems and center ribs discarded, leaves torn into pieces and washed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large heavy-bottomed pan with a tight-fitting lid, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes; using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Set aside.
- Add kale to pan in two or three batches, waiting for one batch to wilt before adding the next. Cook over medium until bright green, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup water. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once or twice. Uncover; cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with sausage.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.