Braised Leek and Egg Sandwich
A favorite at L.A. restaurant Campanile, this recipe is adapted from “Nancy Silverton's Sandwich Book: The Best Sandwiches Ever: From Thursday Nights at Campanile.”
Martha Stewart Living, March 2003
- 8 salt-packed anchovies (3 inches), rinsed well, backbone removed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 4 slices white or whole-wheat sourdough bread
- Clarified Butter (http://www.marthastewart.com/255643/clarified-butter)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Aioli (http://www.marthastewart.com/257120/aioli)
- Braised Leeks (http://www.marthastewart.com/281231/braised-leeks)
- Marinate anchovies: In a small bowl, combine anchovy fillets, oil, lemon zest, and parsley. Toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature, 1 hour.
- Prepare an ice bath; set aside. Place eggs in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a low simmer, and cook, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer to ice bath until cool. Peel, and cut into quarters, set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of bread with clarified butter. Place in skillet and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Rub one side of each slice with garlic, and place on work surface, garlic-side up.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons aioli unevenly over the bread. Cut each slice of bread in half on the diagonal and place on serving plates.
- Cut braised leeks in half on an angle, and divide them, fanning slightly, between slices of bread. Place 2 quarters of egg over each leek. Drape an anchovy fillet over each egg quarter, and drizzle with some of the anchovy marinade.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.