This is the very richest, smoothest cheesecake. The finely ground almonds which dust the pan are a pleasing contrast to the silkiness of the cake. Use a straight-sided pan 8 inches wide and 3 inches deep. This recipe is adapted from "Entertaining" by Martha Stewart.
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2006
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 pound finely ground blanched almonds
- 4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8-by-3-inch round cake pan and dust with ground almonds; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, cream, and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, and beat until incorporated. Beat in zests and vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan, and place in a large roasting pan. Transfer to oven rack, and carefully add enough boiling water to the roasting pan to come two-thirds up the side of the cake pan.
- Bake until firm, about 2 hours, adding more boiling water if necessary. Turn off the oven; keep the oven door ajar using a wooden spoon. Let cake cool completely in the oven.
- Transfer to refrigerator and chill overnight. Invert onto a plate; serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.