This tasty pie crust is featured in the Butterscotch Cream Pie recipe from "The Craft of Baking," by pastry chef Karen Demasco.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
Yield Makes one 9-inch pie crust
- 1 3/4 cups gingersnap crumbs, from about 1/2 batch Gingersnaps (http://www.marthastewart.com/255689/gingersnaps)
- 1/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together gingersnap crumbs, brown sugar, flour, and salt. Add butter and stir until mixture is well combined. Press some of the mixture against the side of the bowl with your fingers. If the crumbs do not hold together, add cold water, a little at a time, up to 1 tablespoon, and stir to combine.
- Press crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate, evenly covering the bottom and sides. Transfer to freezer and chill for 10 minutes. Place pie plate on a baking sheet and bake until crust is fragrant and set, about 10 minutes. Transfer pie to a wire rack; let cool completely.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.