Indian Yogurt Marinade
This recipe for Indian yogurt marinade, adapted from "Martha Stewart's Cooking School," is used to make Pan-Fried Chicken Cutlets.
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2008
Yield Makes enough for 1 pound of meat
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 4 small chiles, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Toast coriander seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, and cardamom pods in a dry skillet over medium heat until they darken slightly and become fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes. Grind to a fine powder in a spice grinder (or clean coffee grinder).
- Transfer to a blender, along with garlic, salt, lime zest and juice, chiles, onion, and yogurt. Blend to form a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a nonreactive dish. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.