A buckle is a decadent dessert hybrid: cakelike cobbler with a crumble topping.
Martha Stewart Living, August 2005
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 pound plums, halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges (2 cups)
- 3/4 pound nectarines, halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Crumble Topping (http://www.marthastewart.com/261659/crumble-topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a 9-inch square cake pan or 10-inch cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons butter; set aside. Whisk together flour, 3/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, allspice, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together egg, milk, vanilla, and remaining 4 tablespoons butter in another medium bowl. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir to combine. Spread batter evenly into buttered pan.
- Toss plums, nectarines, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Spread fruit mixture evenly over batter. Sprinkle with topping. Bake until a cake tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 1 hour before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.