Grilled Kielbasa Ring with Sauerkraut
Martha Stewart Living, July 2006
- 1 loaf round rustic bread, halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ring kielbasa (about 1 pound; www.schallerweber.com), top scored in 1-inch increments
- 3 tablespoons hot, spicy Bavarian-style or horseradish mustard (<a href="http://www.schallerweber.com" border="0" class="page" alt="" target="_blank">www.schallerweber.com</a>)
- 2 cups best-quality jarred sauerkraut (<a href="http://www.schallerweber.com" border="0" class="page" alt="" target="_blank">www.schallerweber.com</a>), drained and rinsed
- Preheat a grill to medium-high (if you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 3 to 4 seconds). Using your hands, remove about 1/2 cup bread from each side of the loaf. Brush hollowed-out sides of bread with oil.
- Grill kielbasa, flipping once, until browned and heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Grill bread, flipping once, until lightly marked by grill, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer kielbasa and bread to a cutting board. Halve kielbasa crosswise. Spread hollowed-out sides of bread with mustard; top each with half of the sauerkraut and a halved kielbasa ring. Cut each into 4 wedges. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.