Buttermilk French Toast
Serve with fresh berries and a dusting of confectioners' sugar.
Martha Stewart Living, April/May 1992
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier, optional
- 2 loaves French bread
- Unsalted butter, for frying
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, sugar, and Grand Marnier in a medium bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- Cut bread on an angle into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Dip in egg mixture until soaked through to center. Chill, covered, on a baking sheet for 1 hour.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat a small amount of butter. Cook slices in batches until golden brown on both sides. Keep warm in oven on lowest setting until ready to serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.