Pastry Cream for Eclairs
Yield Makes enough for 30 eclairs
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Prepare an ice bath; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks, egg, and 2 tablespoons sugar. Add cornstarch and flour; whisk until smooth and pale yellow. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk and remaining 3/4 cup sugar. Stir over medium-high heat until milk begins to steam. Whisking constantly, add half the hot milk to the egg-yolk mixture. Stir until smooth; add combined mixture back to remaining hot milk in the pan. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking rapidly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla. Strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl.
- Place over ice bath and let stand, stirring frequently, until cool. Remove from ice bath, and press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto surface until ready to use. If not using immediately, refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.