Roasted Pepper Sandwich
- 1 small poblano pepper
- 2 8-inch flour tortillas
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 small tomato, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 thin slices Monterey Jack cheese (1/8-inch-thick)
- Place pepper over high heat on a gas burner. Just as each section turns puffy and black, turn he pepper with tongs to prevent overcooking. (If you don't have a gas stove, place the pepper on a baking pan, and broil in the oven, turning as each side becomes charred.) Transfer pepper to a paper towel and wrap in towel to enclose. Let the pepper sweat until cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes. Rub off and discard blackened skin. Cut pepper in half and remove and discard seeds. Cut pepper into 1-inch-wide strips.
- Place tortillas, one at a time, over medium heat on a gas burner. Cook until edges are beginning to blacken, about 30 seconds. Turn and cook until edges of second side begin to blacken, about 20 seconds more.
- Spread mayonnaise evenly over one tortilla. Top with pepper, and tomato. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange cheese over tomato. Cover with second tortilla. Cut into wedges, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.