Lemon Verbena Lemonade
On a steamy afternoon, why settle for the familiar? Instead, grab a cool glass of something less familiar, with inspiration plucked from the garden.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2008
- Yield Makes 7 cups
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon verbena leaves
- 5 cups fresh lemon juice, strained (from about 24 lemons)
- <u>Lemon Verbena Ice Cubes</u>, for garnish (optional)
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, and add lemon verbena. Cover, and steep for 15 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve, and let cool completely.
- Combine lemon juice and lemon verbena syrup in a pitcher. Fill glasses with lemon verbena ice, and divide lemonade among glasses.
Play around with different herbs, substituting whatever is available for the lemon verbena leaves. Basil, tarragon, and bay make for inspired sips.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.