Easy Creamed Spinach
When you're ready to prepare spinach, discard any yellow leaves and tough stems. Spinach can be gritty, so to clean it, swish it around in several changes of cool water until there's no grit left at the bottom of the bowl.
Everyday Food, April 2007
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 to 4 bunches (2 1/2 pounds total) flat-leaf spinach, trimmed and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces bar cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spinach, and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute. Drain in a colander; rinse with cold water until cool. Squeeze spinach to remove as much liquid as possible; coarsely chop, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and milk; cook, stirring, until cream cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in spinach. Simmer over medium heat until mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Add nutmeg; season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.