Sweet Potato Pie with Pecan Topping
Everyday Food, November 2005
- Prep Time 50 minutes
- Total Time 4 hours
- Yield Serves 8
- 2 to 3 sweet potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 prebaked Piecrust (http://www.marthastewart.com/283243/piecrust), or 1 frozen store-bought (9-inch) crust
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pecans, broken into pieces
- To make the sweet potato puree, cover sweet potatoes with water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 15 minutes. Drain; puree in a food processor until completely smooth. Let cool completely before using (refrigerate or freeze for quicker cooling).
- To make filling, preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and maple syrup until smooth. Add sweet-potato puree, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 3/4 cup cream; whisk until completely smooth. Place cooled crust on a rimmed baking sheet; pour filling into crust. (If using a store-bought crust, defrost 10 minutes; prick bottom all over with a fork.)
- Bake pie on lowest rack of oven until filling is set, about 50 minutes. If crust browns too quickly, tent edges with foil. Transfer pie to a rack to cool, 1 hour; transfer to refrigerator to cool completely.
- To make the pecan topping, melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add remaining 1/2 cup light-brown sugar and pecans. Cook, stirring, until sugar is incorporated and the mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining tablespoon cream; let cool 1 to 2 minutes. Pour mixture over cooled pie. With a butter knife or spatula, spread mixture over pie. Cool until topping has hardened, about 30 minutes. (Do not refrigerate again; keep pie in a cool place up to 6 hours.)
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.