Grilled Scallops with Fava Beans and Roasted Tomatoes
This tasty recipe for grilled scallops is featured in "Relaxed Cooking with Curtis Stone."
The Martha Stewart Show, April Spring 2009
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh fava bean pods, shelled
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 12 jumbo sea scallops
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes in a small baking dish. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and gently shake dish to coat; season with salt and pepper. Transfer tomatoes to oven and roast until heated through and just beginning to split, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice-water bath. Add fava beans to boiling water and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to ice-water bath to cool. Drain, peel beans, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil until well combined. Add tomatoes, fava beans, and mint; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Rub scallops with remaining tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place scallops, seasoned-side down in skillet; cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and turn; cook until they are just opaque in the center and golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes more. Scallops should not be cooked all the way through.
- Divide tomato and fava bean salad evenly between 4 plates. Top each salad with 3 scallops; drizzle with any remaining vinaigrette from salad and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.