This recipe comes from Monica Chong-Hunter in Arvada, Colorado.
Everyday Food, March 2004
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Serves 8
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, yellow cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. With a fork, cut cold unsalted butter into flour mixture until pea-size granules form. Gradually add 1/2 cup cold water, stirring until mixture is evenly moistened.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Drop in batter by well-rounded tablespoons. Fry until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Using a spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain; serve warm with maple syrup, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.