This delicious coconut cake filling is courtesy of Robert Carter from the Peninsula Grill, in Charleston, South Carolina.
The Martha Stewart Show, July Summer 2007
Yield Makes enough for 1 cake
- 5 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 9 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Place cream, sugar, and butter in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together cornstarch, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon water. Add to cream mixture, bring to a boil, and simmer until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Place coconut in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until coconut is finely chopped. Remove cream mixture from heat and stir in coconut until well combined. Transfer to a large baking dish; let cool.
- Cover filling with plastic wrap and chill overnight. Just before using, place mixture in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat until smooth and creamy, 4 to 5 minutes
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.