Onion Pie with Jarlsberg and Thyme
Note: This recipe has been adapted from "Kitchen of Light: New Scandinavian Cooking with Andreas Viestad" by Andreas Viestad. Text copyright 2003 by Andreas Viestad. Photographs copyright 2003 by Mette Randem. Reprinted by permission of Artisan.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2003
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 to 5 red onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 to 3 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Fine sea salt
- 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup grated Jarlsberg, Gouda, Parmesan, or Gruyere cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves, and 1 teaspoon thyme leaves. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the onions are soft but not brown, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.with rack on the lowest level. Line a medium ovenproof baking dish with puff pastry. Remove the cloves, peppercorns, and bay leaf from the onions, and discard. Place the onions on top of the puff pastry, and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with remaining teaspoon thyme.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.