Chicken-Sausage and Bean Casserole with Sage
In this recipe from reader Robert Estep of East Haddam, Connecticut, sage-infused olive oil complements the beans and sausage, and the fried leaves make the crunchy breadcrumb topping even crunchier.
Everyday Food, November 2008
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Yield Serves 8
- 1/2 baguette (about 4 ounces), torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh sage leaves (about 25)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fresh chicken sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 3 cans (19 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse bread until very coarse crumbs form (you should have about 3 cups). Add 2 tablespoons oil; pulse briefly to moisten. Season with salt and pepper; set breadcrumbs aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add sage; cook until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sage to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside (reserve pan with oil).
- Add onion and garlic to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add sausage and wine; cook, breaking sausage up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in beans; cook until beans are tender and creamy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer sausage-and-bean mixture to a shallow 4-quart baking dish; scatter breadcrumbs over top. Place dish on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until topping is golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving. Serve casserole topped with fried sage leaves.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.