Gingered Lychees with Sesame Cookies
Canned lychees form a stunningly simple dessert when embellished with sharply sweet candied ginger. Sesame cookies provide a crisp contrast.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2008
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 can (20 ounces) lychees in syrup
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for sheet
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Pour lychees and their syrup into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk together sugar and egg white. Add flour, salt, butter, and cream, and whisk until smooth. Whisk in sesame seeds.
- Pour batter into 2 rounds on a baking sheet that's lightly buttered and floured or lined with a nonstick baking mat. Using the back of a spoon, spread into 7-inch rounds. Sprinkle lightly with seeds. Bake until golden, about 16 minutes. Let cool on sheet on a wire rack, and break into wedges.
- Divide lychees and syrup among 4 serving dishes. Sprinkle with crystallized ginger, and serve with cookies.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.