- 1 (about 3 pounds) cantaloupe, halved and seeded
- 1/2 (about 2 pounds) honeydew, halved and seeded
- 3 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- With a melon baller, scoop out melon (to yield about 8 cups). Spoon melon into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup cold water; stir to combine. Let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1/4 cup water and sugar over medium, stirring, until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in honey and softened gelatin until dissolved. Stir in 1 1/4 cups cold water. Pour mixture over melon in pan; place plastic wrap directly on surface and top with another loaf pan (to keep melon submerged).
- Refrigerate until gelatin is set, about 3 hours. To unmold, run a knife around edges; dip pan in hot water for 5 seconds, and invert onto a platter. Cut into slices, and serve.
A melon baller is designed for scooping out equal-size rounds of melon. We used the large scoop, but you can use either end to form different-size balls.