Leeks should be cleaned thoroughly. After slicing, place the pieces in a large bowl of cold water. Let stand about ten minutes, then remove them with a slotted spoon.
Martha Stewart Living, March 2005
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small green cabbage (about 2 pounds), cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small leek, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- Bring broth, salt, peppercorns, and bay leaf to a boil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and leek. Cover; reduce heat to medium. Simmer until cabbage is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer cabbage and some of the broth to a serving platter.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.