Buttermilk Custard with Raspberry Sauce
Everyday Food, May/June 2003
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours 15 minutes
- Serves 4
For the Custard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Sauce
- 6 ounces fresh or 10 ounces frozen raspberries (about 1 1/4 cups), plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 1/4 cup water. Let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat half-and-half and sugar over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot but not boiling, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in gelatin mixture, then buttermilk and vanilla. Pour into four 4- or 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups; chill until set, 3 hours.
- Make the sauce: Puree raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice in blender. Strain through sieve into bowl, pressing with a spatula. Adjust consistency with water, if necessary.
- To remove, dip each ramekin in hot water. Invert onto serving plate; shake gently until custard releases. Spoon sauce around custard; garnish with raspberries.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.