Mint-Chocolate Chip Gelato
10th Anniversary Cookbook; Martha Stewart Living Cookbook, 2000
Yield Makes about 1 quart
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 14 sprigs fresh mint
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk and 12 sprigs mint. Bring to a gentle boil, cover, and remove pan from heat. Let steep 30 minutes. Strain mixture; reserve milk, and discard solids.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat at medium-high speed until very thick and pale yellow, 3 to 5 minutes. Return milk to a simmer.
- Add half of the warm milk to egg-yolk mixture; whisk until blended. Return new mixture to saucepan with remaining milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Have ready an ice-water bath. Remove saucepan from heat; immediately stir in cream. Pass mixture through a sieve set over a medium bowl. Place bowl in ice-water bath; chill. Stir in peppermint.
- Freeze in ice-cream maker according to instructions. Finely chop remaining 2 sprigs mint. Add mint and chocolate; mix in machine until combined, about 30 seconds. Store in an airtight container.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.