Just right for sharing, this rich, creamy dip is always a hit.
- 3 dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 large or 2 small leeks, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise, and washed well
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pound cremini, white, or shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and chopped, plus sliced mushrooms for garnish (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sour cream (16 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons sliced scallions (dark-green parts only), plus more for garnish
- Waffle Chips (http://www.marthastewart.com/263041/waffle-chips), for serving (optional)
- In a small bowl, soak porcini in the boiling water until soft, about 20 minutes. Working over the bowl, lift out porcini, and squeeze out liquid. Coarsely chop porcini. Pour liquid through a fine sieve into another bowl, and reserve.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Pour off rendered bacon fat, reserving 1/4 cup. Wipe skillet clean. Coarsely chop bacon.
- Return 3 tablespoons bacon fat to skillet. Add leek and garlic; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until trans-lucent, about 2 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms and porcini, then the salt and pepper. Raise heat to high; cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Add thyme; cook 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate; let cool.
- With an electric mixer, whisk cream cheese in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually add sour cream; whisk until smooth. By hand, stir in mushrooms, three-quarters of the bacon, scallions, and 2 tablespoons porcini liquid. If necessary, add more porcini liquid to reach desired consistency.
- Garnish dip with scallions and remaining bacon. If desired, cook sliced mushrooms in remaining tablespoon bacon fat in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Scatter over dip. Serve with waffle chips if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.