For the kids, make some of the tartufo with vanilla ice cream, and stuff each scoop with a malted milk ball.
Everyday Food, March 2006
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 5 hours 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 8
- 3 pints coffee ice cream, slightly softened
- 54 chocolate-covered espresso beans (about 2 ounces)
- 1 package (9 ounces) chocolate wafer cookies, crushed (2 3/4 cups )
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with plastic wrap; place in freezer. Using a 1/4-cup ice cream scoop, make a slightly rounded ball of ice cream. Press your thumb into center to make an indentation, and fill it with 3 chocolate-covered espresso beans. From edges of indentation, spread and press ice cream over to seal; transfer ball to baking sheet in freezer. Repeat to make 18 ice cream balls in all. Freeze until hardened, 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove ice cream balls from freezer and allow to soften at room temperature for 3 to 5 minutes. (This will help the crushed wafers adhere in next step).
- Put crushed wafers in a shallow dish; roll ice cream balls in wafers, and pat to coat. Place tartufo on baking sheet, and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.