Baked Apple Wedges
McIntosh apples have the best texture for this easy dessert because they become soft without falling apart.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1993/1994
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 McIntosh apples
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
- Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
- Fresh mint leaves, as garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon brown sugar over a baking sheet. Combine oats, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and spices in the work bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Add half the almonds and process until finely chopped. Add remaining almonds; process until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a shallow bowl.
- Peel apples and cut into quarters. Cut out cores. Dip apples into egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Coat well with the oatmeal-nut mixture and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until soft. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired. Garnish with mint leaves.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.