These fries are baked and not deep fried, so the fat content is much lower than in regular fries.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1993/1994
- 4 potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold or russet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, or 2 teaspoons dried
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Cut potatoes lengthwise into thick slices, then into 1/2-inch-by-1/2-inch-thick strips. Place in a bowl of cold water until ready to use. Drain and dry well on paper towels.
- Toss potatoes with oil and spread out on a dark roasting pan or baking sheet. Scatter thyme over potatoes. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally, until potatoes are brown and crisp on all sides.
- Remove from oven, discard thyme stems (the leaves will have fallen off), sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.