Egg and Toast Ideas
Everyday Food, May/June 2003
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 4
For the Toasts
- 1/2 tablespoon softened butter
- 4 slices (1 inch thick) hearty white bread
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Asparagus, Fontina, and Dijon Mustard: Divide 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 8 stalks blanched asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths, and 1 1/2 cups grated fontina cheese among toasts.
- Ham and Gruyere: Divide 4 ounces thinly sliced ham and 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese among toasts.
- Tomato, Cheddar, and Canadian Bacon: Divide 2 chopped plum tomatoes, 4 ounces diced Canadian bacon, and 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese among toasts.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread 1/2 tablespoon softened butter over one side of each of 4 slices (1 inch thick) hearty white bread. Place each piece of bread, buttered side down, on a baking sheet.
- Using your fingers, create a well in the center of the bread, being careful not to tear it.
- Break 1 large egg into each well, keeping the yolk intact; cover bread with desired topping, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the egg is set but slightly runny when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 15 to 20 minutes. Check the toasts frequently because eggs set quickly.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.