Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad
Martha Stewart Living, November 2001
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry-wine vinegar
- 1 pinch sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large yellow tomato, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 large red tomato, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 8 cups (3 bunches) arugula, stems removed
- 2 ounces ricotta salata cheese
- Prepare an ice bath; set aside. Cover, and bring a large pot of cold water to a boil over high heat. Add corn, and let simmer, uncovered, until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain the corn, and transfer to the ice-water bath. When cool, remove from the ice bath. Using a large knife, remove kernels; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine corn, tomatoes, and basil. Drizzle with half of the dressing, and toss to coat. Gently fold in the diced avocado.
- Place arugula in a medium bowl. Drizzle with remaining dressing, and toss to coat. Transfer to a large platter. Arrange vegetable mixture over arugula. Shave ricotta salata over salad. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.