The sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to three days. Gently reheat it just before serving.
Photography: Caren Alpert
Martha Stewart Living
Yield Makes about 1 1/4 cup
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon limoncello, (Italian lemon flavored liqueur; optional)
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Heat sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved and syrup is clear. Continue to cook, without stirring, until syrup comes to a boil, occasionally washing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystals from forming. Let syrup boil, gently swirling pan occasionally, until dark amber.
- Remove from heat; whisk in lemon juice, liqueur (if desired), butter, and 2 tablespoons water. (Caramel will steam and spatter.) Serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.