Polka-Dot Pea Soup
To pipe the polka-dots onto the servings, you will need a pastry bag and an Ateco #5 round tip.
Martha Stewart Kids, Spring
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound (about 1 1/2 cups) leeks, white and light-green parts only, washed well and thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 4 cups fresh shelled peas, or 2 ten-ounce packages frozen peas, thawed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks; saute, stirring occasionally, until leeks are softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, and bring mixture to a boil. Add peas, and reduce heat; simmer until peas are bright green and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Puree using an immersion blender, or transfer mixture to the jar of a blender, working in batches if necessary so as not to fill jar more than halfway, as hot liquid will expand when blended, and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour soup into serving bowls. To make polka-dots, fill pastry bag with sour cream. Pipe dots onto surface of soup, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.