Grilled Shiitake Mushrooms on Rosemary Skewers
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, plus twelve 10-inch stems for skewering
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 48 2- to 2 1/2-inch-diameter (about 1 3/4 pounds) shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and stemmed
- Place vinegar in a small bowl; whisk in oil. Add rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a shallow nonreactive dish, arrange mushrooms, stem-side down, in an even layer. Brush each mushroom cap with marinade, and set aside. Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Trim rosemary sprigs to a length to hold two mushroom caps, leaving about 1 inch of the skewer exposed. Thread rosemary, stem-end first, crosswise through the mushrooms, removing rosemary needles if needed to skewer. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat until warm. Cook the skewered mushrooms, stem-side up, on the grill for about 6 minutes, until subtle grill marks appear. Serve warm with remaining vinaigrette on the side, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.