- 3 cups packed fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 4 Japanese eggplants, cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 4 summer squashes, cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 4 zucchini, cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Cook basil for 30 seconds. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Dry basil gently with paper towels.
- Process basil, oil, and 2 teaspoons salt in a blender until smooth. Strain through a sieve into a small bowl.
- Preheat grill to medium. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for 5 to 6 seconds.)
- Thread vegetables onto skewers (1 of each kind per skewer). Brush lightly with basil oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill until softened, flipping often, about 12 minutes. Drizzle with remaining basil oil.
The basil oil will keep covered and refrigerated for up to one week -- and will be at the ready to stir into salad dressings or drizzle over pasta. Also, if you are using wooden skewers, first soak them in cold water for 30 minutes.