Rose Pastry Cream
Martha Stewart Living, May 2006
Yield Makes about 1 3/4 cups
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons rose syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Whisk milk, 1/4 cup sugar, the rose syrup, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Whisk yolks, cornstarch, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl. Whisking constantly, gradually add milk mixture, 1/2 cup at a time. Pour back into pan. Cook, whisking, over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and registers 160 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add butter; mix on medium speed until butter melts and mixture cools, about 5 minutes.
- Cover with plastic, pressing it directly onto surface. Refrigerate at least 2 hours (up to 3 days). Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes and stir before using.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.