Martha Stewart Living, April 2007
Yield Makes about 6 dozen
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shelled unsalted pistachios, finely chopped in a food processor
- Preheat oven to 350. Whisk sugar, egg whites, and salt in a medium bowl until sugar has dissolved. Whisk in butter, then flour. Stir in pistachios.
- Line a baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat. Place a long-handled wooden spoon on a clean work surface; prop up each end on a metal spoon to raise it slightly (you will use handle of wooden spoon to form tuiles).
- Drop teaspoons of batter onto baking mat, spacing about 2 inches apart; flatten into 1 1/2-inch rounds. Bake until pale golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet 30 seconds.
- Working quickly with one cookie at a time, use an offset spatula to lift cookies from sheet and drape them over spoon handle. (If cookies become too crisp to work with, return to oven until pliable, about 1 minute.) Let cookies cool slightly, 20 to 30 seconds, then remove from handle; press sides together to close. Let cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter. Tuiles can be stored in an airtight container up to 1 week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.