Jeffrey's Simple Cucumber Salad
This Southeast Asian salad, from cookbook author Jeffrey Alford, provides a cool note to a hot meal, including Dai Mint and Tomato Salad and Sticky Rice.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 1 medium English cucumber
- 1 tablespoon black-rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons white-rice or white-wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Remove lengthwise strips of peel from the cucumber, leaving alternating strips on. Cut cucumber lengthwise into quarters, and scrape out seeds. Gently smash each length of cucumber with the side of a cleaver to flatten. Cut each quarter in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1-inch lengths. Transfer to a shallow bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine black-rice vinegar, white-rice vinegar, and sugar. Pour over the cucumber. Season with salt, stirring to combine.
- Mound cucumber on a small plate, and sprinkle with ginger. Serve as an appetizer or as a salad to accompany a rice meal.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.