This delightful fruit dessert, made with raspberries and rhubarb, is a wonderful treat for the whole family.
The Martha Stewart Show, April Spring 2008
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups raspberries (about 1 1/2 pints)
- 1 pound rhubarb, leaves discarded, stalks cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heavy cream, for drizzling
- Stir together 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside. Whisk together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, pinch of salt, and ginger in a medium bowl. Stir together milk and butter in another small bowl. Stir milk-butter mixture into flour mixture and set batter aside.
- Gently fold together raspberries, rhubarb, lemon juice, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, pinch of salt, remaining pinch of cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons water in a large bowl. Transfer fruit mixture to a large straight-sided skillet. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Using two spoons, drop 8 large dollops of batter on top of fruit mixture, spacing them evenly. Sprinkle with reserved cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cover; reduce heat to medium. Cook until batter is cooked through and juices are bubbling, about 15 minutes. Serve warm drizzled with cream.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.