Cumin, chili powder, and lemon zest are commonly used in Indian, Middle Eastern, and Mediterranean cooking.
Everyday Food, April 2004
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 8
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced diagonally 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup water
- Coarse salt
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over low heat. Add garlic cloves, and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder and ground cumin; cook 1 minute.
- Add carrots, lemon zest, water, and coarse salt; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover, and cook until carrots are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover, raise heat to high, and cook until any remaining liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.