From reader Joanne Dotson of Dallas, Texas.
Everyday Food, November
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Yield Serves 6
- 3 pounds yellow squash, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups crushed buttery crackers, into coarse crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place squash in a large saucepan with onion. Add enough water to cover; bring to a simmer. Cover, and cook until squash is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, and mash slightly in a colander, pressing to remove as much liquid as possible; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup cracker crumbs and 1 tablespoon butter to squash. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper; mix well. Transfer to a shallow 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs; dot with remaining tablespoon butter. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.