Sauteed Okra and Tomatoes
The secret to cooking crisp-tender okra is a hot skillet. This recipe is from the new "Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home" cookbook.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2003
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1 pound fresh okra, stems and ends trimmed
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, combine mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and coriander; set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium-high; add spice mixture, okra, and 1/2 cup water. Cook, stirring, until okra is bright green and just tender, about 6 minutes, adding more water if skillet becomes too dry.
- Add tomato wedges, and cook until just heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.