Cream Cookie Sandwich Hearts
These pretty pink-sugar-encrusted hearts sandwiched together with red-currant jelly are perfect for Valentine's Day. The secret to the cookies' sparkly pink coating is sanding sugar colored with a small amount of cherry-pink powdered food coloring.
Yield Makes 36 cookie sandwiches
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cups pink sanding sugar, for rolling
- 3/4 cup red-currant jelly
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix flour, butter, cream, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Flatten dough into 2 equal discs, and wrap in plastic. Chill until firm, 2 to 3 hours.
- Arrange rack in middle of oven. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line 3 baking sheets with Silpat baking mats or parchment paper.
- On a well-sugared surface, roll out dough, one half at a time, to a 1/8-inch thickness, continuously sprinkling sugar over the dough while rolling. Using a 2-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut out 72 heart shapes. Place 24 cookies on each baking sheet. Chill all cookies until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, until light golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, stir jelly until smooth. Place jelly in a small pastry bag fitted with a No. 11 plain round tip, and pipe 1/2 teaspoon per cookie on half of the cookies. Place remaining cookies on top to form sandwiches.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.