Toss that mix; it's just as easy to make flavored gelatin from scratch with a few ingredients.
Everyday Food, November 2003
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours 15 minutes
- Serves 6
- 4 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups cranberry-juice cocktail
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 oranges, separated into segments, 1/2 cup juice reserved
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup cranberry juice. Set aside to soften, 5 minutes. Place over low heat until gelatin has dissolved, 4 to 5 minutes. Add sugar; stir gently until dissolved (rub mixture between your fingers to make sure it's smooth), 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer gelatin mixture to a medium bowl; stir in orange juice and remaining 2 cups cranberry juice. Skim any foam from surface, and refrigerate until just thick enough to hold a line drawn by your finger, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Arrange orange segments in the bottom of a 1 1/2- to 2-quart gelatin mold or Bundt pan; pour gelatin mixture over oranges. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
- To unmold, dip bottom of mold briefly in hot water, invert onto a plate, and shake firmly to release.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.