Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust
Martha Stewart Living, October
Yield Makes one 10-inch pie
- Cheddar Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/282737/cheddar-crust)
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 3) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- 2 pounds (about 5) Cortland apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch thick wedges
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide dough into two pieces. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each to a 13-inch circle.
- Fit one circle into a 10-inch pie plate; transfer plate to a baking sheet. Put other circle on another baking sheet. Refrigerate dough until cold, at least 30 minutes.
- Stir together apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cloves. Spoon into bottom pie crust. Dot filling with butter. Cover with top crust. Fold edges over; crimp decoratively to seal. Cut a steam vent. Chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg. Bake pie 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Tent with foil; bake until juices are bubbling, about 45 minutes more. Let cool at least 1 1/2 hours before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.