Pickled Cucumbers and Jalapenos
Jalapenos range from mild to strong. They can be roasted, stewed, or, as in this case, pickled.
Everyday Food, July/August 2003
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 15 minutes
Yield Makes 2 1/2 quarts
- 2 pounds Kirby cucumbers, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 4 red jalapenos, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 3 small onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a bowl, toss cucumbers, jalapenos, onions, and salt. Cover; refrigerate 2 hours.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, and turmeric, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Rinse and drain cucumber mixture. Pour vinegar mixture over; let cool. Refrigerate, covered, up to 3 weeks.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.