The Italian tradition of dousing desserts with hot espresso becomes especially cooling in this swank cookies-and-cream concoction, with silky espresso ice cream and frozen vanilla whipped cream bolstering crunchy biscotti and chocolate-coated coffee beans.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2008
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup ground espresso (not instant)
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, pod reserved for another use
- 1/2 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans, chopped
- Biscotti, for serving
- Make the espresso ice cream: Heat cream, milk, and ground espresso in a medium saucepan over medium heat until bubbles begin to form around edges. Remove from heat, cover, and let cream mixture steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Uncover cream mixture, and reheat until hot but not boiling. Whisk yolks, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add hot cream mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until well combined. Return mixture to saucepan, and stir constantly over medium heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 8 minutes. (Do not let the mixture come to a simmer.)
- Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Discard solids. Set the bowl in the ice-water bath. Stir in vanilla, and let cool, stirring occasionally, until cold, about 20 minutes.
- Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a large container, and freeze until firm, about 1 hour. (Ice cream can be frozen overnight.)
- Make the frozen vanilla cream: Whisk cream, sugar, and vanilla seeds in a large bowl until medium-stiff peaks form. Cover, and freeze until firm, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- To assemble: For each serving, arrange 3 scoops espresso ice cream and 2 smaller scoops frozen vanilla cream in a dish. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate-covered espresso beans, and serve immediately with biscotti.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.