Winter Squash Puree
This delicious recipe for winter squash puree -- a wonderful side dish for holiday meals -- is adapted from "Martha Stewart's Cooking School."
The Martha Stewart Show, December Winter 2008
- 4 pounds butternut, kabocha, or hubbard squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Boil: Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add 1 tablespoon salt and the squash. Return to a boil, then simmer until very soft, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Dry: Return squash to pot and cook over low heat, stirring, to dry squash, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Puree: Working in batches, transfer squash to a food processor. Puree with butter until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.