Creamy Red and Green Cabbage
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1998/1999
- 1 small head red cabbage
- 1 small head green cabbage
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Trim both red and green cabbages, discarding tough outer leaves and core. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil; add 2 teaspoons salt. Cook red cabbage 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cabbage to a colander, and drain. Repeat with green cabbage. Pat cabbage dry, and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add shallot and celery seeds; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until cream has slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage to skillet, and season with salt and pepper. Cook cabbage until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.